Wednesday, February 25, 2009

A couple of new cakes

I had a busy weekend with cake making! We celebrated my B-I-L Merritts B-day this past Sunday....so I made him an Ice cream cake. He likes Oreo's, so I made a cake with 3 chocolate cake layers, 2 cookies N' cream ice cream layers, frosted in chocolate cool whip, and then covered in Oreo cookie crumbs. It wasn't a difficult cake, just hard to transfer without melting! Thanks to my parents for letting me borrow their cooler to preserve the cake during the drive. Thanks!The other cake I did this past weekend was for a little girls birthday party. Hailey was invited to Taylee's party...and I offered to make the cake so I could get some practice. I do love learning and trying new techniques. Taylee loves The Chronicles of Narnia....so I decided to do a Wardrobe cake. It's not exactly like the one from the movie-but it's similar. I did Funfetti cake, iced in a yummy buttercream ( thank you Jaymie for the great buttercream recipe), then covered it in white fondant...and painted it to make it look like wood. My camera isn't the best for taking pictures of cakes....the cake had a glossy sheen so the pictures are a little hard to see. It took a lot of time, but I really enjoyed trying something new and feeling proud of what I did. Everyone seemed to like the cake at the party-and it tasted good too!! Thank you to my Aunt Julie too who makes FABULOUS cakes, she told me how to do some of the techniques-thanks Julie! Her website is posted on my page underneath favorite sites-you should check her out!











7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow those are beautiful!! great job katie!

Chris and Michelle said...

A FIVE layer oreo icecream cake?! That is heaven! I LOVE oreos! My birthday is in September... when should I put in my order? :)
You're amazing, Katie! You should definitely be proud of your work. These are awesome!

Stacie Aho said...

The oreo cake was amazing!

michelle said...

YUM! That Oreo cake has my mouth watering! I am not kidding! :) How is everyone? I would love to see all of you. :)

Melanie said...

Awesome cakes Katie! You must be my daughter (ha ha).

Julie P. said...

Very nice! Next time save me a piece of cake so I can try it out. You can fedex it or just move back:)

The Maughan's said...

The cakes turned out awesome. You did a fantastic job! I just barely did an oreo cake.. we must think alike. Mine didn't have ice cream though!! Sounds Yummy!!