Friday, July 16, 2010

Little Surprises

Here's the deal with Whitney. Whitney loves to be around her parents, even in the middle of the night. She loves to come into our bedroom, wake us up, just to walk her back into her bedroom to tuck her in again. Then it's back to sleep. Although this is harmless, and kind of cute, it takes away from the parents precious sleeping time. May I also add that when I say "parents" what I really mean is "mommy".
A couple of nights ago I made a big deal about STAYING IN YOUR OWN BED ALL NIGHT LONG! I told whitney that if she needed anything, to just wake up Hailey to help her. The next morning I woke up and realized that Whitney had not come into my bedroom during the night. I made a point to thank her and clapped my hands while telling her how proud I was of her.
If I would have realized how easy that would be, I would have done it a long time ago! All I had to do was raise my voice a little and point my finger while saying it-and TA-DA! Magic! It worked!
I was feeling proud, more rested, accomplished. I had told my child to do something, and she did. Obedience. Life was great. I had finally figured out this whole parenting thing. I felt great......UNTIL........I found the vomit in her bed.
Yes, vomit....all over! The poor little thing had been sick during the night. I wouldn't know anything about it either, because I told her to stay in her bed! Poor little Whit was probably too scared to come and wake me up! I felt horrible!
I had to have the whole "staying in your own bed" talk again, but with a few adjustments. If you are sick you CAN come and get me. Just when you think you have everything figured out-life throws you a new issue to tackle! Being a parent means that you are FOREVER learning!
Sorry Whit!

2 comments:

Nicole Sue Taylor said...

Oh sweet little girl! That is totally something I would do.

Julie P. said...

Poor girl but such obedience:) Wellyn would never obey me, he still wakes us up at night to tell us things like he would like to go to Disneyland someday:) Good luck!