Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Barbie Cake

Here's the latest cake creation from Kt's kitchen. My niece had a birthday on March 30th, and asked me to make her a cake. Her instructions were very specific: a white cake, with white frosting, and kind-of like a barbie. That's what I had to go by....and this is what I came up with! I did a funfetti cake, with strawberry icing filling, white frosting, and vanilla-flavored fondant. I found the Barbie at the 99 cents store, and made her dress from the fondant. After covering the cake and making the top of dress, I painted the gold accents around dress trim...and bow around waist along with the crown. I had my first try with luster/pearl dust-you can't see it in the pictures, but there's a silver sparkle shimmer in the fondant...and it gives it a shiny appearance too. Overall....I thought-"Not too bad for my first try at a doll cake," although there are a few things I would do differently next time around. Hailey said that she wants a Cinderella cake for her birthday-so I may just have another shot to improve on the doll cake. I had a lot of fun, and my niece loved it.




7 comments:

the W* family said...

That looks so good, Katie! You're awesome. I'm glad you posted this... Grace wants one for her 3rd birthday, and I wasn't sure what to do. Thanks!

Stacie Aho said...

I think that's amazing! You did a fantastic job. So, where are the barbie's legs? IMPRESSIVE KT!

Camie Walworth said...

I'm impressed!

Life of an Org said...

Hey! It was so good to see you and your family the other day! I love your cakes and I want to start doing stuff like that so you should come give me lessons...or I just might have to come there :)

Mindy said...

You have an amazing talent! Great job!!!

MLRTYME FAMILY said...

Too cute! So sad that I had to miss the party and not see your great creation in person!

Casey and Brynn said...

You are amazing. I am not even joking. You are like a pro! Good job. I wish you lived here and could have done a spiderman cake for Tanner's bday!